Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Audiobook Experience


Around two or three weeks ago, I listened to Anthony Robbins’ “Awaken the Giant Within” and now I’m in the second chapter of “The Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell. Those books are my first experience in listening to audio books. “Awaken the Giant Within” is recorded in one and a half hour. So, I thought each day I’d listen to 15 minutes and complete it in 6 days. The first day I started listen to it, I get so attracted to it and I listened to one hour without noticing that it’s been an hour! I was listening while I’m cooking, so I did not notice until I finished my cooking. The second day I listen to the remaining half an hour while I was exercising. I enjoyed the audiobook experience. I found that I enjoy listening while I’m moving much more setting and reading.
The Tipping Point” is around eight hours and half. So far, I listened to two hours. I am also enjoying the experience. However, a big difference between the two books is that “Awaken the Giant Within” was read in more enthusiastic way than “The Tipping Point.” Also, the beginning of each chapter and some quotes in “Awaken the Giant Within” was read by other voices. Moreover, in “The Tipping Point,” I noticed the number of new vocabulary for me is more that the other book. So, a negative thing about listening to a book is that it is sometimes hard to go back to get the meaning of the word, or sometimes I cannot get the spelling to find the meaning.
Another negative thing about audio books is that even though I enjoy the experience, I did lose the track sometimes. For example, Robbins was counting six points, and I was counting how many spoons I put in my cooking. Suddenly, I notice that he said (the sixth point is...) and I did not know what is the fourth and fifth, so I had to repeat it.  Also, when anyone talked to me while I’m listening I loss a lot. So, I have to repeat the not only the time when they spoke with me, but around five minutes before.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you need to remember to get control of your pause button.

    ReplyDelete